I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Respect

Respect; To take notice of; to regard with special attention; to regard as worthy of special consideration; hence, to care for; to heed.

Living with RSD has helped teach me a lot about life. The biggest lesson it has taught me is that you have to respect yourself before you can respect others. It took me a while to accept myself for who I was and respect myself because of it. I had to accept the fact that I had this unrelenting pain and most of the time no one would understand what I was going through. I took that fact started realizing that no one really knows what the other person is going through. Another RSDer maybe able to empathize with another RSDer but their situations are not going to be exactly the same.

Once you are able to accept yourself and fully respect yourself it is easier for you to respect others. This is true when it comes to relationships, it makes it easier to accept that person for who they really are.

2 comments:

  1. I agree so much! I've learned the same thing through my struggles with RSD. You never know what someone is going through, just because everything appears to be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erikka,

    I am proud of you for more than just the realization of having respect for yourself.

    Without even knowing it you have stated something very important and significant issue.....When you used the word "empathize" about other RSDers having towards one another, that is exactly what we want from those who don't have RSD. We don't want anyone's "sympathy", but in order for us to have non-RSDers 'empathize' with us is a much harder feat to accomplish but it can be done!! It just takes knowing how to explain it to them in ways they can wrap their heads around to understand...somewhat! =)

    And, you stated you must "accept" the fact that you have RSD. That too is an extremely difficult thing to do, but it is the most critical step you must accomplish.

    You are making great strides in your journey with RSD so far and I haven't a doubt that you will not only be regaining your life; but you will 'truly' have a "Winning Life with RSD"!!

    Keep it up girl!!

    ~God Bless~
    Coach Marla

    ReplyDelete