I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Friday, April 23, 2010

How Food Can Make a Difference

Since I was little Ive always love "healthy food". I would be the one that would have to be forced to eat the steak on my plate or would pack a salad for lunch during high school. When I found this world of food and how it can help heal our bodies and how it can help prevent certain genes from being turned on it simply blows my mind.

When I was 17, my RSD spread into my right arm from me slamming my pointer finger on my right hand in my car door. I ended up getting sent to a Pediatric Rehabilitation Hospital with a Tunneled Epidural Catheter in my spine (like a pregnant woman's epidural but more complicated and somewhat portable). My roommate was another girl who had RSD, she and I became quick friends. She was wheelchair bound, couldn't feel her legs, and highly allergic to several medications that she was put on to treat her RSD. Bethany had went into remission but her RSD came back when she stepped on a nail and had to get a tetanus shot. I am telling you all this because she is the one that inspired me to follow this diet.

Bethany and I both developed an infection in our spines from the TECS at the same time. She and I ended up being "paralyzed" for a good period in time. My symptoms wore off with in about two weeks, Bethany's persisted. After a couple months of no Dr's Bethany decided to go 100% raw Vegan and after a while on this diet she started getting movement in her legs. Today she is pain free and walking all over the place.

When I heard of Bethany's success I couldn't believe that food could have such a huge impact. That same year I stoped eating beef to give it a try. Within a month of the beef being out of my system my pain levels went down, I was hooked and was a believer. It took me a while though to cut other things out of my diet though. After a 1 1/2 yrs of not eating beef I gave up all meat and shortly after became vegan. I didn't see the reason to stop eating meat but to still consume dairy products. I also believe that I am lactose intolerant which doesn't mean much being vegan.



At this point in time on my RSD journey I don't believe I will be completely pain free. I do believe though that my life style choice is going to help with my RSD and to help prevent other health conditions in the long run. Its taken a little effort on my part on planning meals, reading food labels, and explaining my life style but I'm loving every minute of it.





Right now I am at how trying to recuperate from several long weeks at school. I have one week left before finals and then I am officially done! I have three tests next week and three finals so I may not be on much this weekend or before finals. After the stress is relieved I do want to post about my theory on how I think RSD can be developed even before we are born.

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Erikka! You're going to make me cry, girl! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I'm so happy for you Erikka....don't give up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bethany and Jody. I became Vegan about a month or two ago. I thought I should share the inspiration which got me interested in this lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete