I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Human Body


When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me". Erma Bombeck

The quote right above by Erma Bombeck is one of my favorites. I have always believed that God has given each of us a Talent and we are suppose to embrace that talent for the good of others.

I have wanted to be a Nurse since I was 13 yrs old. It started when my Uncle was in the ICU at the VA Hospital in West Virginia. He had complications from two major diseases. The nurses who took care of him in the ICU were absolutely amazing. You could just tell from their domineer that they loved their job. Since my Uncle was so sick they let us stay in the ICU as long as we wanted to. One nurse in particular helped my family. We were scared and exhausted. This nurse had found out that I was spending my 13th Birthday in the hospital with my Uncle and she went to the gift shop and got me a card and Crispy Cream Donuts. She didn't need to do that but had went out of her way.

Being a nursing major, I have to learn how the Human Body works. It has helped me understand why nutrition is so important to maintain health, especially if someone has an illness or has had surgery. It has also helped me understand what is going on with my RSD. When I learned about the nervous system it made since in some people that the pain signal could keep on going if a nerve is damaged or hit the right way.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can help the patient and the patients family too like my Uncle's nurse helped my family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erikka,

    I have a feeling that you are going to be a super amazing nurse, and I for one, wish you were closer to where I live in order to be my nurse if I ever need one!!!!

    You should listen to my show from yesterday....the guest was a phenomenal speaker and highly educated on the benefits of omega-3, other fish oils, as well as other natural ways we can take care of our bodies. He also said if you call an 800# and tell his office you heard about Nordic Naturals on Coach Marla's show from Stuart....you will receive 100% free samples...no shipping charges either!! WOOHOO!!
    You will learn sooooo much from that show!!
    Here's the link: www.rsdcoachlive.com

    ~Keep Learning, Stay Strong, & Keep On Smiling~

    Blessings,
    Coach Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marla,
    I have a few years left but I am very passionate about this topic. I will be sure to check out the link. I am very interested in how Omega 3's can provide pain relief and how changing the way we eat can help preven a whole bunch of diseases and disorders.

    ReplyDelete