I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Spreading Awareness

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome aka Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome; is a chronic neurological condition characterized by

severe burning / stabing pain
extreme sensitivity to touch
tissue swelling
excessive sweating
pathological changes to bone and skin


Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome (RSD) has changed my life. It has changed my life in ways I could never imagine. I never thought at 12 yrs old that a sprain of my left wrist could leave me in unbearable pain that tops the McGill Pain Charts. It will be 8 years this March, that I have had this syndrome. Due to the fact that there are several symptoms of RSD (above) and the Dr's and Researchers are not able to pinpoint the exact cause of RSD it is classified as a syndrome. Due to the fact that there is no exact cause, the treatments that RSDers are given are mostly experimental. Some treatments are routine by now but not every treatment works for every RSDer's pain. The same goes for medication. Every person's body isnt going to react the same to the same medicine therefore finding a treatment that works is very hard.

People who have Pain or even Chronic Conditions are seen as depressed or end up developing depression due to the fact that family members and friends don't believe their pain. I have been blessed in the fact that I have not developed depression. I have kept myself active by being able to go to College and have been surrounded by people who support me in my fight with RSD. I am able to openly talk to my mom or a friend about my feelings about how I feel especially if I get stressed over a test or just how my day went.

This morning I was awoken by the familiar pain of my constant companion. Everyday I am reminded how badly we need awareness of this condition when I talk to RSDers online about how much pain they have experienced that day, it absolutely kills me inside. We can modify our diets all we want to but RSD will always be prevalent. It will be rearing its ugly face until a cure is found and Doctors and Politicians are Educated about how much PAIN people are living with day in and day out.

*RSD Symptoms (Above): www.rsds.org
*McGill Pain Index: http://www.rsdhope.org/ShowPage.asp?page_id=116

** Im still sticking to my vegetarian diet, its actually proven that red meat increases inflamation.
http://www.organicauthority.com/health/health/are-the-foods-you-are-eating-keeping-you-in-pain.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I saw a link to your blog on Facebook. Great blog, very informative and truly gives the reader a sense of what it's like to live with RSD. I'm 19 and an undergraduate student too. I have RSD in my left arm, I've had it for around 2 1/2 years, 6 months with an SCS. I don't think I ever could have imagined chronic pain as part of my life when I was little or that without an SCS I wouldn't be able to move my hand and arm. I have just recently decided to start blogging as well.
    Do you mind if I follow your blog? :)

    Have a "low-pain" day <3
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete