I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Obsticals of Chronic Pain


Over the last 8 yrs I have lived with the pain of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. Its hard for me to describe to anyone who doesn't live with this type of pain day in and day out what this does to you physically and mentally. Going to bed with pain and knowing that your going to wake up and experience it all over again can be trying at times. In my case I am a very light sleeper, so I do feel pain when I am sleeping. People may find this to be a hard concept but when you have RSD its reality. Last night esspecially when I would only sleep an hour at a time due to my right arm feeling like it was on fire.

I have never gotten to the point where I have needed help by a Professional for the mental obsticals that RSD has thrown my way. I am not saylng that seeing a Psychiatrist is a bad thing. For many people it helps them express emotions that otherwise they couldn't. I do recommend if you or someone you know has chronic pain to go see a Psychiatrist that has specialized in Pain Managment. I have been able to surround myself with people who support me. I surround myself not only with my family and friends but with others who have RSD. Those of us with RSD can support each other by understanding what each other is going through, encouraging each other through various treatments, and simply be there for one another.

I meet one of my good friends who has RSD on facebook. She and I quickly became friends and a short time later we were able to meet in NYC when I went to participate in the Achilles Hope and Possibility Walk in 2007. Even though her and I are several years apart in age we are have a bond because of the pain we experience each and everyday. I havent seen her since 2007 and I am looking forward to seeing her this summer.

One of my friends from my college, has Cerebral Palsy. Him and I have great talks whenever he comes up to visit as he graduated from the college in 2009. He made a donation to RSDSA on my behalf. He also posted about the walk on his Disaboom site. If you have a chance please check it out. He posts reguarly about Cerebral Palsy. Here is the link to his Disaboom site, click here http://www.disaboomlive.com/Blogs/zachary/archive/2010/05/17/achilles-walk-for-hope-amp-possibility-team-rsdsa.aspx

Before I end this post I do have to let everyone know how strong people with RSD and Chronic pain are. Well actually anyone who has a "disablility" (I hate that word) is strong emotionally and physically. We have to find ways to get things accomidated for us so that we may have an equal chance just as everyone else does.

No comments:

Post a Comment