I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Recommendation

I am blessed to be able to live near one of the greatest private teaching hospitals in the country. I'm not saying it is the best but one of the best (also according to U.S News and World Report). I was diagnosed with RSD by an orthopedist at the Cleveland Clinic and refereed to my current Pain Management Dr, whom I still see today.

Dr. Michael Stanton-Hicks has dedicated his life to his patients. He is constantly at conferences helping teach others about RSD and Chronic Pain, in other countries treating those with RSD, or at the Cleveland Clinic spending time with his patients (treating them). He will spend up to 20-30 minutes with each of his patients. He likes to know what is going on with us medically, if anything has changed pain wise, he also likes to know how our life's are going. My last appointment I brought my homework since I knew it would be a long appointment and he started laughing because he thought it was hilarious that my algebra book was so thick and heavy. I hope and pray ill be able to work with him after I graduate from college.


Recently my Dr. wrote a book on Pain Management, The Cleveland Clinic Guide to Pain Management. I am already done with the book and wanted to recommend it to all of you. It is a must read for everyone who has a chronic pain disorder, knows someone who has a chronic pain disorder, or just wants to learn more. Dr. Stanton-Hicks talks about the different types of chronic pain (the different types of pain), how it can be treated with conventional therapies and alternative therapies. He also talks about different syndromes / diseases that can cause chronic pain like RSD, firbromyalga, and cancer. In the back there is also a mock pain diary so you can show your Dr how much pain you feel at different types of the day. Over all its a great book. I know I posted this before but here is my Dr. talking about the book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QIc4hZlRJQ


My Avacados



Hemp Protein Shake...yum!

All the way to the top of the glass!


Today was my recovery day since my RSD is going a little out of control due to all this rain we are getting. I am trying to eat as many healing foods as I can to keep my body functioning at its best. I made some homemade guacamole today. I had some on a vegan burger and it was delicious. I am currently enjoying a hemp protein smoothie with a banana and strawberries. I use to only drink my shake every other day or so but now my body is craving them.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures!

Healing Thoughts!!

1 comment: