I am an Undergraduate Student who has Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and embraces the Vegan lifestyle. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy is a Chronic Neurological Condition that I hope and pray there will be a cure to one day. Until then I live my life to the fullest, embrassing the life the Good Lord has given me.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chronic Pain / Ilnesses and Relationships

Hello Healers,

In my last blog I wanted to address the subject of Chronic Pain / Illnesses and Relationships. Recently I came across a question on the support group I help co-run. The question asked about how each person deals with their partner, family, and friends. I did answer the question on the group but also wanted to answer it here. Dealing with RSD has been trial and error in the relationship department just like it has been in the treatment department. We each have to do what seems right and natural for us, but here is what works for me.

* Significant Other: With any guy I am going on a first date with or seeing I don't mention my RSD. I want my personality to shine through and not the fact that I'm living with a Chronic Pain Condition. I want him to get to know me and if he has any questions I am glad to answer them. If him and I got more serious, I would make sure he understood about my RSD but knows that its not all of me even though it has made me a part of who I am.

* Family: My family has been 110% supportive since Ive been diagnosed. Its been tough to explain to my immediate family about my symptoms and how I am able to manage the symptoms without them thinking that I'm not able to work, be independent, ect. The best way to get your family to understand that you may not need as much help as you once did is to sit down and talk to them. Also easing your way into the activity you want to accomplish will help show your family that you can manage it and may be able to handle a bit more.

* Friends: Its hard for us to understand why our friends tend to "leave" us during a time of crisis in our lives. Others may stay but after awhile they may get frustrated of us never getting better and "leave" also. I have found friends who respect me for who I am and see past the aspect that I have RSD. When I meet them I didn't bring up the aspect that I had RSD. I clearly let them ask any questions they had and still let them.


I hope to do more posts like this. If you have any questions you would like me to address please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I'm Rachael, I'm 18 and have either CRPS or a more general chronic pain syndrome. The doctors never really made up their minds. I just wanted to say thank you for this blog. You have really good points and I appreciate knowing that there are people my age out there with similar struggles.

    ReplyDelete